Lake Ontario Ordnance Works Information

Location

Fletcher Road

Niagara, New York

In 1944, the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) obtained a portion of the Lake Ontario Ordnance Works (LOOW) from the Department of Defense (DoD) for storage of low-grade radioactive residues resulting from pitchblende ore processing at the Linde Ceramics facility. In 1948, when the DoD decommissioned the LOOW, the AEC acquired 1511 acres of the site, including the original storage areas. The AEC declared most of this property as excess in 1955 and by 1968, the General Services Administration was able to dispose of 1298 acres, with 213 acres remaining under AEC control. In 1975, additional property was transferred to the town of Lewiston, leaving the present 191-acre site. The DOE portion of the site became known as the Niagara Falls Storage Site (NFSS). The site remained under DOE control until 1997 when it was transferred to the Corps of Engineers under the FUSRAP program.

Following World War II, Linde Ceramic’s refinery was decommissioned and contaminated equipment was disposed of at the LOOW. Contaminated materials from other MED/AEC facilities were also shipped to the LOOW for disposal. Beginning in 1949, residues from operations at the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works were shipped to the LOOW for storage. During the early 1950’s, the AEC portion of the LOOW was also used for interim storage of uranium and thorium billets and rods being processed by various New York companies.

During 1953-1954, the AEC constructed a boron isotope separation plant at the LOOW, which began operations in 1954. The operating contractor for this plant was the Hooker Electrochemical Company, which referred to it as Plant 31 (P31). In 1958, the facility was placed on stand-by and a maintenance contractor, Page Airways, was employed for routine surveillance. The operation was restarted in 1964, with the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Company (NUMEC) as the operating contractor until April 17, 1967, when NUMEC sold all of its assets to the Atlantic Richfield Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, which was given the name NUMEC II. NUMEC II was the operating contractor until 1971, when the boron facility was again placed on stand-by with the National Lead Company of Ohio (NLO) as the caretaker. In 1981, Bechtel National took over the caretaker contract and began plans for remedial work at the site. Clean-up began in 1982.

Alternative Names

  • LOOW
  • Niagara Falls Storage Site
  • NFSS

Type of Facility

  • Department of Energy

Covered by EEOICPA

  • Part B and Part E

EEOICPA Covered Years

  • 1944-1997

Contractors

  • 1953-1958 Hooker Electrochemical
  • 1958-1964 Page Airways
  • 1964-April 17, 1967) Nuclear Materials and Equipment Company (NUMEC)
  • April 18, 1967-1971 NUMEC II
  • 1971-1981 National Lead Company of Ohio
  • 1981-1997Bechtel National

Army Corps of Engineers

  • FUSRAP-Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive Waste

DOE

DOL

NIOSH

Other Resources

related posts

Wolff-Alport Chemical Company Information

Wolff-Alport Chemical Company Information

Location 1127 Irving Avenue, Brooklyn, New YorkWolff-Alport Chemical Corporation was under contract with the AEC (#AT-30-1-Gen-287) for the procurement of thorium containing sludge for stockpiling by the AEC. A March 1949 document mentions, "current contract expires...

read more
West Valley Demonstration Project Information

West Valley Demonstration Project Information

Location West Valley, New YorkFrom 1966 to 1972, Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc., under contract to the State of New York, operated a commercial nuclear fuel reprocessing plant at the Western New York Nuclear Services Center. The plant reprocessed uranium and plutonium...

read more
Utica Street Warehouse Information

Utica Street Warehouse Information

Location 240 West Utica Street Buffalo, New YorkResidues from Linde Air operations were stored and rebarreled at this location. Alternative Names Linde Air Products Type of Facility Atomic Weapons Employer Covered by EEOICPA Part B EEOICPA Covered Years 1945 DOE DOE...

read more