General Electric Vallecitos Information

Location

6705 Vallecitos Road

Pleasanton, California

In 1958, General Electric constructed four hot cells for post­irradiation examination of uranium fuel and irradiated reactor components. The U.S. Government’s involvement (through the Atomic Energy Commission and later, the Department of Energy) was limited to a single hot cell, Hot Cell No. 4. Between 1965 and 1967, Hot Cell No. 4 was decontaminated, equipped with a stainless steel liner to contain plutonium, and dedicated to the study of mixed oxide fuel rods in support of the Atomic Energy Commission’s fast breeder reactor development programs. In 1978, Hot Cell No. 4 was placed on standby; it was used by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory for six months in 1981 and 1982.

During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

Type of Facility

  • Atomic Weapons Employer
  • Department of Energy

Covered by EEOICPA

  • Part B (AWE)
  • Part B and Part E (DOE)

EEOICPA Covered Years

  • 1958-1978 (AWE)
  • 1981-1982 (AWE)
  • 1979-1980 (residual radiation)
  • 1983-1997 (residual radiation)
  • 1998-June 7, 2010 (remediation)

Contractors

  • American Smelting and Refining Company (1955-1956)
  • Lucius Pitkin, Inc. (1956-1957)

Did work for:

  • Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

DOE

DOL

NIOSH

Other Resources

related posts

University of California-Deleted

University of California-Deleted

Location Berkeley, CaliforniaUniversity of California has been delisted and is no longer a covered EEOICPA facility.  University of California was an AWE site from 1942-1980 and DOE site from 1981-1983 but has been removed from the program. Gilman Hall, located on the...

read more