EEOICPA Statistics for Claimants Living in New York

DOL Part B and Part E Statistics

NIOSH Dose Reconstruction Statistics

New York EEOICPA Facilities

Facility descriptions credit: DOE

 Allegheny-Ludlum Steel rolled uranium billets into rods for the AEC as part of the multi-site process overseen by the New York Operations Office for the production of uranium metal for fabrication into slugs for fueling the Hanford production reactors.

More Information

During the early 1950s, this location designed and produced industrial equipment for the Atomic Energy Commission. American Machine Foundry also performed a large volume of uranium, thorium and possibly zirconium metal machining work from 1951-1954.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

The Manhattan Engineer District and the Atomic Energy Commission used the Baker & Williams site warehouses for short-term storage of uranium concentrates. This material was generated in Port Hope, Canada by milling African ores.
Environmental cleanup under the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program was conducted in 1991-1993 by Bechtel National Inc. This site's remedial action was certified complete in November 1995.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

In 1949, Bethlehem Steel of Lackawanna, New York developed improved rolling mill pass schedules for uranium billets into 1.5-inch rods to be used for reactor fuel rods to later be used at the Fernald plant. Bethlehem also performed uranium rolling experiments to help design the Fernald rolling mill.

More Information

Under contract to the National Lead Company of Ohio (Fernald), Bliss and Laughlin Steel rolled uranium rods for the AEC and also provided uranium slug machining services. Bliss and Laughlin was part of a complex called the Buffalo Works that fashioned components for the early weapons program. The functions were transferred to the Albuquerque South Valley Site in 1952.
Although this site was designated for the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) in 1992, no work occurred under this program prior to its transfer to the Army Corps of Engineers.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the former site of a U.S. Army installation (Camp Upton) and has been involved in research and development activities in support of the Department of Energy (DOE) and its predecessor agencies since 1947. BNL's facilities conduct basic and applied research in high energy and nuclear physics and in other areas of science.
Throughout the course of its operations, the potential for beryllium exposure existed at this site, due to beryllium use, residual contamination, and decontamination activities.

.More Information

In 1949, under AEC contract AT(30-1)438, Burns & Roe constructed a pilot plant in Maspeth on Long Island. The plant was constructed as a means of determining the potential value of the Sheer-Korman process in the manufacture of reactor materials. At least one test run involving beryllium was conducted in 1949. The New York Operations Office Health and Safety Laboratory sampled for beryllium in the air in 1949 and 1950, when the plant was dismantled.

More Information

In June of 1943, the Carborundum Company at its Globar Plant and Buffalo Avenue locations performed experimental grinding of uranium metal using a centerless grinder. Uranium slugs were received in June and return shipped in September 1943. From 1959 through 1967, the company used powder fabrication techniques to manufacture uranium, plutonium, and carbide pellets for an AEC research program. The Hanford facility supplied Carborundum with materials during that period.
Carborundum also performed work during the 1950s that is not covered under EEOICPA, including fabricating nuclear fuel elements for commercial purposes and producing zirconium, hafnium, and titanium for AEC's special reactor materials program.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under EEOICPA.

More Information

From 1958-1968, National Lead Industries owned and operated the Colonie site and during this time it produced uranium products under contract to the AEC. This contract was terminated in 1968. Thereafter, National Lead fabricated various products from depleted uranium. The largest customer for these products was the U.S. Department of Defense with its contract for armor penetrator cores. While the AEC was still a customer during these years, the uranium work was for reactors and not weapons based. Therefore, because this work did not constitute “producing or processing material used in a nuclear weapon”, it is not eligible for coverage under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
In 1984 ownership of the property transferred to the Department of Energy and from 1984 to late 1997 Bechtel National Inc. served as DOE’s contractor at the site. In 1998 the Corps of Engineers took the program over as part of the transfer from DOE to the Corps of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP).
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

 In 1951, New York Operations Office personnel performed a test forging and rolling of 10 thorium billets at Crucible Steel Company.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

In 1942, the Electro Metallurgical Company (ElectroMet), a subsidiary of Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation, was contracted by the Manhattan Engineer District to design, engineer, construct, and operate a metal reduction plant.
Developing the technology to produce pure uranium metal was a priority for the Manhattan Project. ElectroMet received uranium tetrafluoride from Union Carbide's Linde Air Products Division. ElectroMet reacted the uranium tetrafluoride with magnesium in induction furnaces to produce uranium metal. Once the metal was produced, it was cast into ingots, and the ingots were then shipped out for testing or for rolling. The leftover process residues were sent to other sites for uranium recovery, storage, or disposal. ElectroMet was also in charge of recasting metal, research and development in low- and high-grade uranium ores, and supplying calcium metal to Los Alamos and other laboratories.
From 1950 through 1953, the plant casted zirconium metal sponge into ingots. Ownership of the facility was transferred from the Atomic Energy Commission to ElectroMet in 1953.

More Information

EML traces its roots to the Medical Division of the Manhattan Project during and after World War II. The Division focused on industrial hygiene, radiation protection and safety. In 1946, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was created. The lab was renamed the Health and Safety Division of the AEC. In 1953 it became the Health and Safety Laboratory, or HASL. Fallout from nuclear weapons tests became a major concern and the lab's focus shifted to measurements and assessments of fallout using a network of gummed film monitoring stations and measurements of the radioactivity levels in various food products. In the 1950's and 1960's, the worldwide sampling network was expanded considerably to include soil and water samples, air filter samples at the surface and in the stratosphere, biological samples, and measurements of wet and dry fallout. In the 1970's, the lab's worldwide sampling programs were expanded to include non-nuclear pollutants. When the Atomic Energy Commission was abolished in 1975, the Health and Safety Laboratory became part of the Energy Research and Development Administration. In 1977, the Energy Research and Development Administration was absorbed by the Department of Energy, and the Health and Safety Laboratory changed its name to the Environmental Measurements Laboratory.
In the 1970's, the lab performed extensive radiation transport and dosimetry studies in and around nuclear facilities, and established the Quality Assurance Program for environmental dosimeters and radioanalytical measurements. The lab also did extensive dose reconstructions for nuclear weapons tests, and studied radon in homes. The lab took immediate measurements after the Three-Mile Island and Chernobyl accidents, providing the ability to accurately and comprehensively reconstruct the environmental contamination resulting from these incidents.
In 1997, the lab underwent a major change of focus when it moved from the DOE Office of Energy Research to the Office of Environmental Management. Today, EML's primary focus is to support environmental monitoring, decommissioning, decontamination, and remediation efforts. EML continues to put its worldwide monitoring network to good use by developing models of the atmospheric transport of pollutants. The lab has assisted in developing instruments in support of non-proliferation activities and conducts in-situ measurements in support of many decontamination and decommissioning activities undertaken by DOE after the end of the Cold War. In 2003 this laboratory was incorporated into the Department of Homeland Security.

More Information

The Republic Aviation Division of the Fairchild Hiller Corporation produced beryllium products for the AEC's Rocky Flats facility in 1969 and 1970.

More Information

General Astrometals supplied beryllium metal and parts to the Y-12 plant and to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. It also purchased beryllium chips and contaminated powder from Oak Ridge. In 1970 they analyzed some beryllium samples for Rocky Flats.

More Information

In late June 1943, the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) leased the Haist Property (now known as the Ashland #1 site) for the storage of waste residues produced during uranium-ore processing at the nearby Linde Air Products facility. The MED then purchased the property in August 1944 for continued use by Linde. After the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) no longer needed the property, it was excessed to the General Services Administration, which controlled the site from 1949 through 1960. In 1960, Ashland Oil Company acquired the property. Although the property was designated for inclusion in the Formerly Utilized Site Remedial Action Program in 1984, no remediation occurred prior to its transfer to the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers.

More Information

In January 1943, Hooker began work for the Manhattan Engineer District to manufacture fluoridated and chlorinated organic chemicals. The by-product of this work was hydrochloric acid that was subsequently used in the chemical processing of a uranium-bearing slag as a precursor of uranium recovery. This work was continued until shortly after World War II. Activities related to this contract ended June 1948. Hooker Electrochemical's relationship with the AEC resumes between 1953 and 1958 as the Management and Operating Contractor for Plant 31 at the Lake Ontario Ordnance Works, listed separately in this database.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

The International Rare Metals Company processed pitchblende ores for the African Metals Corporation to extract radium. The same ores were processed for the Manhattan Engineer District to recover uranium. Other than the coordination of the shipments of ores and sludge, there was no MED involvement at this site. The company did apparently ship a 1 milligram and a 5 milligram source of radium to Chicago.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

During 1961-1962, Ithaca Gun conducted tests involving the forging of hollow uranium billets into tubes for the metallurgical group at National Lead Company of Ohio (Fernald).

More Information

In 1944, the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) obtained a portion of the Lake Ontario Ordnance Works (LOOW) from the Department of Defense (DoD) for storage of low-grade radioactive residues resulting from pitchblende ore processing at the Linde Ceramics facility. In 1948, when the DoD decommissioned the LOOW, the AEC acquired 1511 acres of the site, including the original storage areas. The AEC declared most of this property as excess in 1955 and by 1968, the General Services Administration was able to dispose of 1298 acres, with 213 acres remaining under AEC control. In 1975, additional property was transferred to the town of Lewiston, leaving the present 191-acre site. The DOE portion of the site became known as the Niagara Falls Storage Site (NFSS). The site remained under DOE control until 1997 when it was transferred to the Corps of Engineers under the FUSRAP program.
Following World War II, Linde Ceramic’s refinery was decommissioned and contaminated equipment was disposed of at the LOOW. Contaminated materials from other MED/AEC facilities were also shipped to the LOOW for disposal. Beginning in 1949, residues from operations at the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works were shipped to the LOOW for storage. During the early 1950’s, the AEC portion of the LOOW was also used for interim storage of uranium and thorium billets and rods being processed by various New York companies.
During 1953-1954, the AEC constructed a boron isotope separation plant at the LOOW, which began operations in 1954. The operating contractor for this plant was the Hooker Electrochemical Company, which referred to it as Plant 31 (P31). In 1958, the facility was placed on stand-by and a maintenance contractor, Page Airways, was employed for routine surveillance. The operation was restarted in 1964, with the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Company (NUMEC) as the operating contractor until April 17, 1967, when NUMEC sold all of its assets to the Atlantic Richfield Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, which was given the name NUMEC II. NUMEC II was the operating contractor until 1971, when the boron facility was again placed on stand-by with the National Lead Company of Ohio (NLO) as the caretaker. In 1981, Bechtel National took over the caretaker contract and began plans for remedial work at the site. Clean-up began in 1982.

More Information

Ledoux had been an AWE facility starting  1946 but is no longer covered under EEOICPA.
Ledoux and Company's work with uranium and nuclear materials began during the 1930s when the company first developed methods of analysis for uranium bearing substances. From 1946 to 1955, Ledoux and Company provided personnel who assayed uranium ore at the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works in St. Louis. By 1948, Ledoux was also providing personnel to perform assaying work at the Middlesex Sampling Plant, which probably continued until 1955.
Ledoux and Company appears on Fernald's shipping and receipt reports for enriched uranium in 1986.

More Information

The Linde Air Products facility, also known as the Chandler Plant, was involved in the development and production of barrier for the Oak Ridge Diffusion Plant. During World War II, Linde was part of the Carbide and Carbon Chemical Corporation, later known as Union Carbide.

 More Information

The Linde Air Company performed uranium and nickel processing for the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) at the Ceramics Plant in Tonawanda. African and Canadian ores were milled to black oxides at the plant. Documents indicate that the facility was placed on standby as of March 1, 1950. Linde's contractual agreements with the AEC continued through 1953 for various activities relating to closing out work at the Tonawanda location. Linde was a part of Carbide and Carbon Chemical Corporation (C&CCC), which then became Union Carbide.
In 1980, Linde Ceramics was designated as part of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) and work under this program was performed during 1988-1992, and then again in 1996. The 1996 work was performed under the Bechtel National Inc. umbrella contract for DOE environmental site remediation.
*Buildings 30,31,37 and 38 of the Linde Ceramics Plant meet the definition of a DOE facility for the years 1942 through 1953. This means that employees who worked in these buildings during these years are eligible under both Part B and E of the EEOICPA.
The Tonawanda Laboratory, which is also known as Building 14, meets the definition of an AWE for the years 1942-1953. Under the EEOICPA, employees of AWE facilities are not eligible under Part E of the EEOICPA.

More Information

New York University worked on the development of counting equipment for the Manhattan Engineer District/Atomic Energy Commission. NYU handled a small quantity of uranium for research purposes.

More Information

A note in the file for the Sacandaga facility indicates that Peek Street was a predecessor to the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.
Throughout the course of its operations, the potential for beryllium exposure existed at this site, due to beryllium use, residual contamination, and decontamination activities.
**Consistent with the Act, coverage is limited to activities not performed under the responsibility of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion program.

More Information

Beginning in 1943, the Radium Chemical Co. supplied most of the radium required for the Manhattan Engineer District. Combinations of material supplied and/or mixed by the Radium Chemical Company included radium bromide and radium bromide mixed with powdered beryllium. Brass was also used.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

Under an AEC contract in the early 1950s, researchers at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute investigated methods for improving the ductility of beryllium by coating the material with copper. The Brush Beryllium Company supplied the beryllium powder for the project. RPI also borrowed 400 lbs. of beryllium for AEC-sponsored research from Oak Ridge National Laboratory in 1963.
Scientists at RPI conducted a number of AEC-sponsored research studies in the 1950s and 1960s using enriched uranium obtained from commercial sources. Available records provide no evidence of a link between RPI research and the AEC weapons program.

More Information

Columbia University was already researching some of the problems involved in determining whether it was feasible for the United States to build a nuclear weapon prior to the establishment of the Manhattan Engineer District (MED). Once the MED was formed in 1942, Columbia became part of the effort to build the first atomic weapons. At that time, the Columbia effort was reorganized and designated as SAM (Special Alloy Materials or Substitute Alloy Materials) Laboratories. Buildings used as part of the SAM laboratories at Columbia included Pupin, Schermerhorn, Prentiss, Havemeyer and Nash. Work at SAM Laboratories ended in 1947 with the establishment of the AEC. Subsequent work at Columbia University focused on health effects and basic nuclear physics that were not directly related to the production of nuclear weapons.

More Information

The Sacandaga Facility was operated by the General Electric Company Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory for the AEC from 1947 to 1953. AEC-sponsored research at the facility involved physics studies and sodium technology development in support of breeder reactor design. Work also involved the use of beryllium.
**Consistent with the Act, coverage is limited to activities not performed under the responsibility of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program.

More Information

Seneca Army Depot has been delisted and is no longer covered by EEOICPA. The Manhattan Engineer District temporarily stored approximately 2000 drums of pitchblende ores, which contained uranium, at the Seneca Army depot.

More Information

In 1950, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) constructed the Separations Process Research Unit (SPRU) as a pilot plant for developing and testing two chemical processes to extract both uranium and plutonium from irradiated fuel. This facility was operated by the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory. Research and development was completed at SPRU in 1953 and the facility was closed. The technology developed at SPRU was transferred to the Hanford site. In March of 1965 the site was taken over by the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program.
**Consistent with the Act, coverage is limited to activities not performed under the responsibility of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion program.

More Information

Simonds Saw and Steel rolled uranium billets into rods for the AEC as part of the multi-site process overseen by the New York Operations Office for the production of uranium metal for fabrication into slugs for fueling Hanford production reactors. Simonds also rolled thorium metal whose most likely use was irradiation in Hanford reactors for the weapons program. Simonds rolled between 25 million and 35 million pounds of uranium and between 30,000 to 40,000 pounds of thorium.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

This warehouse was used for uranium ore storage from the Belgian Congo. From this warehouse, the ore was transported to various Manhattan Engineer District (MED) sites for long-term storage and/or processing. The ore was the property of the African Metals Corporation and the MED contractor purchased only the U3O8 content of the ore while African Metals retained ownership of the radium and precious metals in the ore.

More Information

The Metallurgical Laboratory of the Sylvania Electric Company investigated uranium and thorium powder metallurgy. It also produced powdered metal slugs, developed bonding techniques, and plated uranium slugs with nickel. The work with slugs included the conversion of uranium metal to uranium hydride using hydrogen. A February 1948 AEC Monthly Summary of Activities indicates that the Lab's "initial program will involve determining the physical properties and the health hazards of beryllium and uranium powders and the applications of powder metallurgy to these metals and their alloys." In 1948, the work required 315 pounds of raw beryllium metal. Beryllium was handled first in the regular metallurgical building and then, after the objections of the AEC medical division, in a special AEC metallurgical development laboratory.

More Information

Under Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) contracts, the facility was used for research and development with radioactive materials, principally uranium and thorium. It was also licensed by the AEC to fabricate reactor fuel elements for the AEC, for Sylvania use, for sale, and for research purposes.

More Information

Titanium Alloys Manufacturing (TAM) processed uranium-contaminated scrap associated with the nuclear weapons production process in 1955-1956. TAM also worked with zirconium tetrachloride for National Lead of Ohio starting 1950, but because zirconium tetrachloride is not radioactive, this work is not covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA).

More Information

The AEC Division of Biology and Medicine supported beryllium research studies at the Trudeau Foundation.

 More Information

Although much of the early theoretical and experimental work that led to development of the first nuclear weapon was accomplished outside the United States, American researchers made a number of fundamental contributions as well. Prior to 1942, the University of Rochester was one of the institutions that contributed to early nuclear physics research in the United States. The university was responsible for more than a hundred projects in chemistry, physics, biology, medicine and psychology. During the Manhattan Project, it had major responsibility for the medical aspects of the bomb program. After the war, Rochester received an AEC contract to operate the Atomic Energy Project (AEP), which focused on the biomedical aspects of nuclear energy. The University of Rochester also received funding to study the pathology and toxicology of beryllium as well as to study the analytical chemistry of micro-quantities.

More Information

Residues from Linde Air operations were stored and rebarreled at this location.

More Information

From 1966 to 1972, Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc., under contract to the State of New York, operated a commercial nuclear fuel reprocessing plant at the Western New York Nuclear Services Center. The plant reprocessed uranium and plutonium from spent nuclear fuel; sixty percent of this fuel was generated at defense facilities. Spent nuclear fuel reprocessing generated approximately 600,000 gallons of liquid high-level radioactive waste; this waste was stored onsite in underground tanks.
In 1980, the United States Congress passed the West Valley Demonstration Project Act (Public Law 96-368), which authorized the Department of Energy (DOE) to conduct a technology demonstration project to solidify the liquid high-level waste at the Western New York Nuclear Services Center. Under this act, DOE is also responsible for developing containers suitable for the permanent disposal of the solidified high-level waste at an appropriate Federal repository; transporting the containers to this repository; disposing of low level waste and transuranic waste generated by high level waste solidification; and decontaminating and decommissioning facilities used for the solidification. DOE is also responsible for dispositioning the spent nuclear fuel stored at the site.
In 1982, DOE selected vitrification as the treatment process for high level waste. This process solidifies and stabilizes nuclear waste by mixing it with molten glass. Pretreatment of the high-level waste began in 1988 and was successfully completed in 1995. DOE expects to complete the West Valley Demonstration Project by 2005.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information

Wolff-Alport Chemical Corporation was under contract with the AEC (#AT-30-1-Gen-287) for the procurement of thorium containing sludge for stockpiling by the AEC. A March 1949 document mentions, "current contract expires June 30, 1949 and will probably be extended for another year. Cost is approximately $50,000 annually." This same document shows that almost 30,000 pounds of thorium oxalate sludge was provided the AEC that year. During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.

More Information