National Bureau of Standards is no longer
covered under EEOICPA. NBS was an AWE covered
facility for 1943-1945 and a DOE facility for
1959 but has been deleted from EEOICPA coverage.
The National Bureau of Standards contributed to weapons research and development from the early 1940s until 1952. They participated in experiments related to developing the purification process of uranium oxide. From the early 1920s until 1952, the NBS had a radioactivity laboratory used for measuring radium samples for medical purposes.
The National Bureau of Standards also provided oversight for uranium metal production. During World War II, considerable emphasis was placed upon uranium metal production. Researchers at Iowa State soon perfected a magnesium reduction process, which quickly became the standard. The National Bureau of Standards in Washington, DC, among other laboratories, provided quality control of the production of uranium metal using the magnesium process. Records also indicate that the NBS worked with thorium.
Laboratory is no longer covered under EEOICPA.
Naval Research was an AWE covered facility for
1943-1952 but has been deleted from EEOICPA
During World War II, the Naval Research Laboratory produced quantities of enriched uranium through a thermal diffusion process. The Navy built a small pilot plant at the Anacostia facility for this purpose.
In the 1950s, the Laboratory handled radioactive materials for different research applications, and it is listed in the AEC annual report for 1959 as having just over $2 million in AEC-owned equipment on-site.