Alba Craft is an AWE facility for 1952-1993 and a DOE facility for 1994-1995 so workers are eligible to file Part B claims for the AWE years and both Part B and Part E claims for the DOE years.
Alba Craft Laboratories, also known as the Oxford Ohio site, is located 35 miles northwest of Cincinnati. The site comprises the former Alba Craft Laboratory property at 10-14 West Rose Avenue and vicinity properties at 525 South Main Street, 9 West Rose Avenue, 550 South Main Street, and West Rose Avenue adjacent to the former Alba Craft Laboratory building. From October 1952 to February 1957, Alba Craft, under subcontract to National Lead of Ohio (NLO), was a primary contractor to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). NLO developed and machine-threaded natural uranium metal to be used at the AEC Savannah River, South Carolina, Site. NLO also performed hollow drilling and turning of uranium metal to be used in the Savannah River and Hanford, Washington, nuclear reactors. It is estimated that NLO machined several hundred tons of uranium at the Oxford Site.
In January 1957, after the AEC machining and related activities ended, Alba Craft Laboratory personnel decontaminated the building and equipment in accordance with specifications outlined by the NLO Industrial Hygiene Department. Much of the radioactive material was swept or washed out the rear door of the building. Later, soil was removed from the area outside the door and sent to the DOE Feed Materials Production Center in Fernald, Ohio, for disposal.
Alba Craft is classified as a AWE and DOE site so workers are eligible for both Part B and Part E compensation.
NIOSH Provides statistics on Alba Craft dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal Waste Lands series provides information on Alba Craft.
Alba Craft Documents