Colonie Interim Storage Site
Colonie is an AWE facility for 1958-1983 and 1999-March 1, 2011 and a DOE facility for 1984-1998 so workers are eligible to file for Part B claims for the AWE years and both Part B and Part E claims for the DOE years.
From 1958-1968, National Lead Industries owned and operated the Colonie site and during this time it produced uranium products under contract to the AEC. This contract was terminated in 1968. Thereafter, National Lead fabricated various products from depleted uranium. The largest customer for these products was the U.S. Department of Defense with its contract for armor penetrator cores. While the AEC was still a customer during these years, the uranium work was for reactors and not weapons based. Therefore, because this work did not constitute “producing or processing material used in a nuclear weapon”, it is not eligible for coverage under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
In 1984 ownership of the property transferred to the Department of Energy and from 1984 to late 1997 Bechtel National Inc. served as DOE’s contractor at the site. In 1998 the Corps of Engineers took the program over as part of the transfer from DOE to the Corps of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP).
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Colonie since it was considered for FUSRAP.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics for Colonie but no Site Exposure Matrix.
NIOSH lists statistics for Colonie dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on Colonie.