Bridgeport Brass Company
Bridgeport Brass is a DOE facility from May 25, 1954-1962 and 1995 so workers are eligible to file for both Part B and Part E claims.
Starting on May 25, 1954, the Bridgeport Brass Company had a contract with the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) to operate the extrusion plant designated
here as the Adrian Facility, which was located at 1450 E. Beecher Street in Adrian, Michigan. Bridgeport Brass operated a special metals extrusion press and produced uranium fuel elements for the Hanford and Savannah River Plant reactors and developmental extrusion work on thorium and depleted natural and slightly enriched uranium at the Adrian Facility.
After termination of AEC activities in 1961, most of this plant's functions were transferred to Reactive Metals, Inc. (RMI) in Astabula, Ohio. Bridgeport shipped one large extrusion press to RMI and all other equipment was dismantled and scrapped. Decontamination and closeout work was accomplished in 1962, after the presses had been removed to Ohio.
Although this site was designated as part of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) in 1985, the only year in which remediation work took place, by or on behalf of the DOE, was 1995. The 1995 work was performed under the Bechtel National Inc. umbrella contract for DOE site environmental remediation.
DOE Legacy Management has an Adrian Michigan webpage because Bridgeport Brass was considered for FUSRAP.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics on the Bridgeport Brass but no Site Exposure Matrix.
NIOSH lists statistics for Adrian Facility dose reconstructions.