Watertown Arsenal was a DOE facility from 1946-1957 but has been removed from EEOICPA coverage.
Building 421 at the Watertown Arsenal, Watertown, MA was leased by the AEC for use under AEC contract #AT(30-1)-956. Work at this location was a continuation of the work begun in 1946 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on methods of extraction of uranium and thorium from ore and to prepare metal grade uranium tetrafluoride. This work continued at the Watertown Arsenal until October 1952, when it was transferred to the Winchester Engineering and Analytical Facility. After this work was transferred to the Winchester Facility, the AEC contracted with National Lead of Ohio (NLO) to perform work in building 421 of the Arsenal involving reducing hollow uranium tubes by the Hamiroll Swaging Process.
The U.S. Army performed work involving depleted uranium in buildings 34 and 41 of the Watertown Arsenal. This work did not involve the AEC and is not covered under EEOICPA.
- American Cyanamid Company
The Wall Street Journal Waste Lands series discusses Watertown.