Nuclear Metals is an AWE facility from October 29, 1968-March 1, 2011 and a beryllium vendor facility for October 29 1958-1986 so workers are eligible to file for Part B claims.
Nuclear Metals has two Special Exposure Cohorts which cover all workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days of employment for October 29, 1958-December 31, 1990.
Nuclear Metals, Inc. was incorporated in 1954 as a DOE contractor to take over the research and development work previously performed by MIT's Metallurgical Laboratory. The work performed by Nuclear Metals, Inc. employees during this period is covered under EEOICPA under a separate facility listing. (See the Hood Building.) However, on October 29, 1958, the company moved from the Hood Building to their new West Concord location, and that is the location described in this listing.
In 1958, Nuclear Metals began operating as an AWE facility that produced depleted uranium products, primarily as penetrators for armor-piercing ammunition. It also supplied copper-plated uranium billets that were used to fuel Savannah River's production reactors. Other work at this facility included the manufacture of metal powders for medical applications, photocopiers and other applications. Thorium and thorium oxide were also handled at the site under license to the NRC.
During the period from 1962-1986, Nuclear Metals was the sole source supplier for beryllium alloy end closure fuel element rings used in the “N” Reactor in Richland.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE Legacy Management has an Nuclear Metals webpage because it was considered for FUSRAP.
DOL provides Part B statistics on Nuclear Metals.
NIOSH lists statistics for Nuclear Metals dose reconstructions.