Connecticut Aircraft Nuclear Engine Lab
Connecticut Aircraft is a beryllium vendor and DOL facility from 1958-July 8, 1966 so workers are eligible to file Part B and Part E claims.
CANEL has a Special Exposure Cohort for all workers with specific cancers and who were employed for at least 250 days from January 1, 1958-December 31, 1965.
The Connecticut Aircraft Nuclear Engine Laboratory (CANEL) worked on an Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) program to develop a nuclear reactor with which to propel aircraft. Specifically, CANEL worked on developing high temperature materials, fuel elements, and liquid metal components and coolants. CANEL consisted of a hot laboratory facility, a nuclear physics laboratory, a fuel element laboratory, a nuclear materials research and development laboratory, and other buildings. The AEC Annual report for 1959 indicates that approximately $4 million in AEC equipment was at CANEL. Plutonium, mixed fission products, and probably uranium were handled at CANEL. A former ORNL employee who had worked at CANEL stated that beryllium metal and oxide in a powdered form were also handled at CANEL. Although President Kennedy canceled the aircraft nuclear propulsion program in 1961, AEC work apparently continued at CANEL until 1965.
In November 1965, the AEC hired Dunbar Transfer Company to dispose of radioactively contaminated equipment and materials. This remediation work was completed on July 8, 1966.