Thank you very much to all of you who participated in taking the survey EECAP did in October to see how claimants were doing using their EEOICPA medical benefits. Over 1,750 of you took the survey!
Some of the major findings are:
• 33% of responders with medical benefits reported problems in using those benefits.
• Of those responders 70% report their problems with medical benefits have NOT been resolved satisfactorily.
• The most common problem responders had was getting their medical bills paid (21%).
• 24% of responders reported that their doctors reported having problems with using EEOICPA medical benefits.
• 68% of those doctors told claimants that their problems with medical benefits have NOT been resolved satisfactorily.
• The most common problem reported for doctors was problems getting their medical bills paid (27%).
• Due to the problems reported above 35% of doctors asked EEOICPA workers to use Medicare or another type of insurance rather than the EEOICPA White Card and 18% stopped taking the White Card for covered conditions.
• There are large differences in how medical benefits are handled between the District Offices.
• Responders reported problems using their medical benefits 46% of the time at the Denver District Office compared to 26% at the Cleveland District Office.
• Responders reported their doctors had problems using their medical benefits 40% of the time at the Denver District Office compared to 8% at the Cleveland District Office.
• One responder reported having a stroke because it took a year to get their oxygen concentrator.