Monticello Uranium Mill
The Monticello Uranium Mill is a DOE facility from 1948-June 2000 so workers are eligible to file Part B and Part E claims.
The U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)–-owned processing mill at Monticello recovered uranium and vanadium from AEC-furnished ore.. The Galigher Company was contracted to redesign an existing mill at that location after the AEC purchased it from the War Assets Administration in 1948. Galigher became the Management and Operations (M&O) contractor for the redesigned mill in August 1949. The National Lead Company, Inc., assumed responsibility for mill management and operations on April 1, 1956. The AEC shut down the mill and began decommissioning activities in 1960.
Additionally, from 1983 through 2000, DOE environmental remediation contractors performed environmental remediation under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) at the Uranium Mill in Monticello. DOE and DOE contractor employees who performed this remediation are covered under EEOICPA.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Monticello Mill since it was considered for FUSRAP.
NIOSH lists statistics for Monticello Mill dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on Monticello Mill.