Puerto Rico Nuclear Center
Puerto Rico Nuclear Center is a DOE facility for 1957-1976 and 1987 so workers are eligible to file both Part B and Part E claims.
The Puerto Rico Nuclear Center (also known as the Center for Energy and Environment Research) was established in 1957 as a nuclear training and research institution. The facility included a one megawatt MTR research reactor, which became operational in 1960. During the next ten years, the AEC supported training and research activities at an annual level of approximately $2 million. The MTR was shut down in 1971 and replaced a two megawatt TRIGA research reactor. Except for brief periods of time, TRIGA was never operated at power levels in excess of 1.2 megawatts.
In 1976, the facility was renamed the Center for Energy and Environmental Research (CEER) and the mission was broadened to include research, development and training for both nuclear and non-nuclear energy technologies. The programs were transferred to the University of Puerto Rico at that time.
The TRIAGA reactor was shut down on September 30, 1976 and a program for decommissioning and removal of the reactor was initiated.
Center for Energy and Environment Research
DOE lists Puerto Rico Nuclear Center as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics for Puerto Rico Nuclear.
NIOSH lists statistics for Puerto Rico Nuclear dose reconstructions.