Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation
NUMEC is a beryllium vendor facility from 1960-1968 and an AWE facility from 1957-2004 so workers are eligible to file for Part B claims.
NUMEC has a Special Exposure Cohort which covers all workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days of employment for June 1, 1960 to December 31, 1980.
The Nuclear Material and Equipment Company (NUMEC) began operations at the Apollo and Parks Township facilities in the late 1950s. The Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) purchased the stock of NUMEC in 1967. In 1971, Babcock & Wilcox (B&W) purchased NUMEC and is the current owner of the Apollo and Parks Township facilities.
The primary function of the NUMEC Parks Township facility was the fabrication of plutonium fuel, the preparation of high-enriched uranium fuel, and the production of zirconium/hafnium bars. The Parks Township facility ceased fuel fabrication activities in 1980.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE lists NUMEC Parks Township as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B statistics on Parks Township NUMEC.
NIOSH lists statistics for NUMEC Parks Township dose reconstructions.