Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation
NUMEC is a beryllium vendor facility from 1960-1968 and an AWE facility from 1957-1995 so workers are eligible to file for Part B claims.
NUMEC has a Special Exposure Cohort which covers all workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days of employment for January 1, 1957-December 31, 1983.
The Nuclear Material and Equipment Company (NUMEC) began operations at the Apollo and Parks Township facilities in the late 1950s. The Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) purchased the stock of NUMEC in 1967. In 1971, Babcock & Wilcox (B&W) purchased NUMEC and is the current owner of the Apollo and Parks Township facilities.
NUMEC processed unirradiated uranium scrap for the AEC in the 1960s. This facility also provided enriched uranium to the naval reactors program and included a plutonium plant, plutonium plant storage area, highly enriched uranium fuel facility, metals and hafnium complex and a uranium hexafluoride storage area. The facility also fabricated plutonium-beryllium neutron sources.
The B&W Apollo facility ceased manufacturing nuclear fuel in 1983.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE lists NUMEC in Apollo as a covered EEOICPA facilty.
DOL provides Part B statistics on NUMEC Apollo.
NIOSH lists statistics for Apollo NUMEC dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on NUMEC Apollo.