Herring Hall Marvin Safe Company
Herring Hall Marvin is an AWE facility for 1943-1993 and a DOE facility for 1995. Workers during the AWE years are eligible for Part B claims and workers during the DOE year are eligible for both Part B and Part E claims.
Intermittently from the 1943 to 1951, the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company machined natural uranium metal slugs from rolled stock under subcontract to DuPont and the University of Chicago.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
The former Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company, now owned by the Diebold Company was located at 1550 Grand Boulevard in Hamilton, Ohio. During the 1940's this company machined uranium slugs under subcontract with a prime Department of Energy contractor. The uranium slugs were machined from uranium billets. In August 1988 and April 1989, radiological surveys were conducted and very little uranium was found and removed. The building was dismissed from any additional DOE restrictions. During the spring of 1993 public attention was drawn to this facility by former workers who stated that the earlier surveys did not include the portion of the third floor where actual machining work was conducted.
- Diebold Safe Company
- HHM Safe
DOL lists Part B and Part E payment statistics for Herring Hall Marvin Safe Company but does not have a Site Exposure Matrix for it.
Ohio EPA has a fact sheet on Herring Hall Marvin Safe Company.
NIOSH provides dose reconstruction statistics for Herring Hall Marvin.
The Wall Street Journal Waste Lands series provides information on Herring Hall Marvin.
Herring Hall Marvin Safe Documents
AEC Memorandum Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Co. June 20, 1951
- April 19, 1943 Metallurgical Laboratory Memorandum H.H.M. Safe Co. Health Hazards
- April, 20 1994 Authorization for Remedial Action at the Former Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company Site in Hamilton, Ohio
- Consent for Program Access Surveys and Engineering Studies
- DOE Memo Authority Determination for Former Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe., Co.
- OR-FSRD Certification Docket for the Remedial Action Performed at the Former Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company Site in Hamilton, Ohio
- ORNL-RASA-88-59 Results of the Radiological Survey at Diebold Safe Company, 1550 Grand Boulevard, Hamilton, Ohio
- ORNL-RASA-94-1 Results of the Radiological Survey at the Former Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company (3rd Floor) 1550 Grand Boulevard, Hamilton, Ohio
- Results of the Radiological Survey at the former Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company (3rd floor), 1550 Grand Boulevard, Hamilton, Ohio
- Results of the Radiological Verification Survey at the former Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company
- The Metal Fabrication Program for the Clinton Engineer Works and the Hanford Engineer Works