Brush Beryllium Luckey
The Luckey Brush Beryllium plant is a beryllium vendor facility for 1949-1959 and a DOE facility for 1949-1961 and 1992 to the present. Workers during the beryllium vendor years are eligible to file Part B claims. Workers during the DOE years are eligible to file both Part B and Part E claims.
Between 1949 and 1958, the Luckey Site was operated as a beryllium production facility by the Brush Beryllium Company (later Brush Wellman) under contract to the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). In 1951, the site received approximately 1,000 tons of radioactively contaminated scrap steel, to be used in proposed magnesium production at the site.
The Luckey site is located at 21200 Luckey Road in Luckey, Ohio, approximately 22 miles southwest of Toledo. Structures at the site include large production, warehouse, and related buildings; transportation systems; and utility buildings. Several active and inactive lagoons and spoil areas are also present. Numerous open areas are vegetated, mostly with grasses and brush. The site encompasses approximately 40 acres.
From 1942 through 1945, National Lead operated a magnesium processing facility on the Luckey site for the U.S. government. In 1949, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) built a beryllium production facility at the site. The government built the plant to replace the production that was lost when the Brush Beryllium Lorain plant was destroyed by fire. The Brush Beryllium Company (now Brush Wellman) under contract to the AEC, produced beryllium pebbles at this site until 1958. Records indicate that the facility produced between 40,000 and 144,000 pounds of beryllium. In 1959, the AEC contracted with Brush to close down the facility. The site was sold to the Vulcan Materials Company in 1961.
In 1951, AEC sent approximately 1,000 tons of radioactively contaminated scrap metal to the Luckey site. This material was to be used by the Diamond Magnesium Company to resume magnesium processing at the idle facility. Former Brush Wellman employees report that the magnesium facility never resumed operations; however, some records indicate that the facility operated in the 1950s under contract by the General Services Administration (GSA). The radioactively contaminated scrap metal remained stored at the site.
Due to Brush Wellman’s status as a statutory beryllium vendor, all employees of Brush Wellman in the U. S., regardless of location, are covered for the entire period for which Brush Wellman and its predecessors supplied beryllium to the U. S. Department of Energy or its predecessor agencies. That period is defined as August 18, 1943 and continuing.
Additionally, on March 8, 2011 the corporate name of Brush Wellman, Inc. changed to Materion Brush, Inc.
Army Corps of Engineers
The US Army Corps of Engineers has a FUSRAP Luckey webpage.
Brush Beryllium (1949-1961)
The EPA has a factsheet on Luckey.
NIOSH provides dose reconstruction statistics for Luckey.
The Wall Street Journal Waste Lands series provides information on Luckey.
Brush Beryllium Luckey Documents