Brush Beryllium Cleveland
Brush Beryllium in Cleveland is an AWE facility for 1942-1977 and a beryllium vendor facility for 1943-1967. Workers are eligible to file Part B claims.
The Brush Cleveland facility conducted research on a process for producing uranium metal (1942-1943) through magnesium reduction of molten green salt (uranium tetrafloride). The facility later conducted research and development with uranium (1949-1953) and extruded thorium billets into slugs which were placed in Hanford production reactors (1952-1953).
The Brush Cleveland facility also produced beryllium metal and beryllium oxide for the MED (1943-1946) and later for the AEC (1947-1965?).
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
Due to Brush Wellman’s status as a statutory beryllium vendor, all employees of Brush Wellman in the U. S., regardless of location, are covered for the entire period for which Brush Wellman and its predecessors supplied beryllium to the U. S. Department of Energy or its predecessor agencies. That period is defined as August 13, 1943 and continuing.
Additionally, on March 8, 2011 the corporate name of Brush Wellman, Inc. changed to Materion Brush, Inc.
DOE considered Brush Beryllium Cleveland for the FUSRAP program.
The Wall Street Journal Waste Lands series provides information on Brush Beryllium on Cleveland.
Brush Beryllium Cleveland Documents