B and T Metals
B & T Metals is an AWE facility for 1943-1995 and a DOE facility for 1996 so workers are eligible to file Part B claims during the AWE years and Part B and Part E claims for the DOE years.
In February 1943, the DuPont Company, acting as an agent of the Manhattan Engineer District, contracted with B & T Metals to extrude rods from uranium metal billets for the Hanford, Washington reactor. B & T Metals extruded an estimated 50 tons of uranium between March 1943 and August 1943. In 1988 and 1989, preliminary radiological assessments identified higher than normal concentrations of uranium in dust on building support beams, in several floor, sump and drain locations inside the main office building, and in several outdoor locations.
The former B & T Metals is located at 425 West Town Street on the southwest side of Columbus, Ohio. The buildings and property cover most of a city block. The site consists of three buildings: the main office, a storage building, and an extrusion building that did not exist at the time of the Manhattan Engineer District activities during the 1940s. The work performed for the Manhattan Engineer District occurred in the northwest corner of the main office building.
B & T Metals is classified as a AWE and DOE site so workers are eligible for both Part B and Part E compensation.
DOE's Legacy Management has a B & T Metals webpage.
NIOSH provides dose reconstruction statistics on B & T Metals.
The Wall Street Journal Waste Lands series provides information on B & T Metals.
B & T Metals Documents