Bayside Sylvania Corning Nuclear
Bayside Sylvania Corning is an AWE and beryllium vendor facility for 1947-1962 so workers are eligible to file for Part B claims.
The Metallurgical Laboratory of the Sylvania Electric Company investigated uranium and thorium powder metallurgy. It also produced powdered metal slugs, developed bonding techniques, and plated uranium slugs with nickel. The work with slugs included the conversion of uranium metal to uranium hydride using hydrogen. A February 1948 AEC Monthly Summary of Activities indicates that the Lab's "initial program will involve determining the physical properties and the health hazards of beryllium and uranium powders and the applications of powder metallurgy to these metals and their alloys." In 1948, the work required 315 pounds of raw beryllium metal. Beryllium was handled first in the regular metallurgical building and then, after the objections of the AEC medical division, in a special AEC metallurgical development laboratory.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Sylvania Bayside since it was considered for FUSRAP.
DOL provides Part B statistics for Sylvania Bayside.
NIOSH lists statistics for Sylvania Bayside dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on Sylvania Bayside.