Separations Process Research
Separations Process Research is a DOE facility for 1950-1965 and 2007-2011 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
In 1950, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) constructed the Separations Process Research Unit (SPRU) as a pilot plant for developing and testing two chemical processes to extract both uranium and plutonium from irradiated fuel. This facility was operated by the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory. Research and development was completed at SPRU in 1953 and the facility was closed. The technology developed at SPRU was transferred to the Hanford site. In March of 1965 the site was taken over by the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program.
Consistent with the Act, coverage is limited to activities not performed under the responsibility of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion program.
DOE lists Separations Process Research Unit as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics for Separation Process Research as well as a Site Exposure Matrix.
NIOSH lists statistics for Separations Process Research dose reconstructions.