SAM Laboratories is a DOE facility for August 13, 1942-1947 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
SAM Laboratories has a Special Exposure Cohort which covers all workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days of employment for August 13, 1042 through December 31, 1947.
Columbia University was already researching some of the problems involved in determining whether it was feasible for the United States to build a nuclear weapon prior to the establishment of the Manhattan Engineer District (MED). Once the MED was formed in 1942, Columbia became part of the effort to build the first atomic weapons. At that time, the Columbia effort was reorganized and designated as SAM (Special Alloy Materials or Substitute Alloy Materials) Laboratories. Buildings used as part of the SAM laboratories at Columbia included Pupin, Schermerhorn, Prentiss, Havemeyer and Nash. Work at SAM Laboratories ended in 1947 with the establishment of the AEC. Subsequent work at Columbia University focused on health effects and basic nuclear physics that were not directly related to the production of nuclear weapons.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Columbia University since it was considered for FUSRAP.
NIOSH lists statistics for SAM Laboratories dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on SAM Laboratories.