Linde Ceramics Plant
Linde Ceramics is an AWE and DOE facility for November 16, 1942-1987 and 1993-March 1, 2011 and a DOE facility for 1988-1992 and 1996 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
Linde Ceramics has three Special Exposure Cohorts which cover workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days employment for October 1, 1942-December 31, 1969 and January 1, 1970 - July 31, 2006.
The Linde Air Company performed uranium and nickel processing for the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) at the Ceramics Plant in Tonawanda. African and Canadian ores were milled to black oxides at the plant. Documents indicate that the facility was placed on standby as of March 1, 1950. Linde's contractual agreements with the AEC continued through 1953 for various activities relating to closing out work at the Tonawanda location. Linde was a part of Carbide and Carbon Chemical Corporation (C&CCC), which then became Union Carbide.
In 1980, Linde Ceramics was designated as part of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) and work under this program was performed during 1988-1992, and then again in 1996. The 1996 work was performed under the Bechtel National Inc. umbrella contract for DOE environmental site remediation.
Buildings 30,31,37 and 38 of the Linde Ceramics Plant meet the definition of a DOE facility for the years 1942 through 1953. This means that employees who worked in these buildings during these years are eligible under both Part B and E of the EEOICPA.
The Tonawanda Laboratory, which is also known as Building 14, meets the definition of an AWE for the years 1942-1953. Under the EEOICPA, employees of AWE facilities are not eligible under Part E of the EEOICPA.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Linde Ceramics since it was considered for FUSRAP.
NIOSH lists statistics for Linde Ceramics dose reconstructions.