Electro Metallurgical is a DOE facility for 1960-1971 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
Electro Metallurgical has a Special Exposure Cohort for all workers who were employed at least 250 days between August 13, 1942-December 31, 1947.
In 1942, the Electro Metallurgical Company (ElectroMet), a subsidiary of Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation, was contracted by the Manhattan Engineer District to design, engineer, construct, and operate a metal reduction plant.
Developing the technology to produce pure uranium metal was a priority for the Manhattan Project. ElectroMet received uranium tetrafluoride from Union Carbide's Linde Air Products Division. ElectroMet reacted the uranium tetrafluoride with magnesium in induction furnaces to produce uranium metal. Once the metal was produced, it was cast into ingots, and the ingots were then shipped out for testing or for rolling. The leftover process residues were sent to other sites for uranium recovery, storage, or disposal. ElectroMet was also in charge of recasting metal, research and development in low- and high-grade uranium ores, and supplying calcium metal to Los Alamos and other laboratories.
From 1950 through 1953, the plant casted zirconium metal sponge into ingots. Ownership of the facility was transferred from the Atomic Energy Commission to ElectroMet in 1953.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Electromet since it was considered for FUSRAP.
DOL provides Part B statistics for Electromet.
NIOSH lists statistics for Electromet dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on Electromet.