Carborundum is an AWE facility for June 1943-1992 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
In June of 1943, the Carborundum Company at its Globar Plant and Buffalo Avenue locations performed experimental grinding of uranium metal using a centerless grinder. Uranium slugs were received in June and return shipped in September 1943. From 1959 through 1967, the company used powder fabrication techniques to manufacture uranium, plutonium, and carbide pellets for an AEC research program. The Hanford facility supplied Carborundum with materials during that period.
Carborundurm also performed work during the 1950s that is not covered under EEOICPA, including fabricating nuclear fuel elements for commercial purposes and producing zirconium, hafnium, and titanium for AEC's special reactor materials program.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under EEOICPA.
DOE lists Carborundum as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B statistics for Carborundum.
NIOSH lists statistics for Carborundum dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on Carborundum.