Bliss and Laughlin Steel
Bliss and Laughlin is an AWE facility for 1951-1999 so workers are eligible to file for Part B claims.
Under contract to the National Lead Company of Ohio (Fernald), Bliss and Laughlin Steel rolled uranium rods for the AEC and also provided uranium slug machining services. Bliss and Laughlin was part of a complex called the Buffalo Works that fashioned components for the early weapons program. The functions were transferred to the Albuquerque South Valley Site in 1952.
Although this site was designated for the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) in 1992, no work occurred under this program prior to its transfer to the Army Corps of Engineers.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE lists Bliss and Laughlin as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B statistics for Bliss and Laughlin.
NIOSH lists statistics for Bliss and Laughlin dose reconstructions.
The Wall Street Journal's Waste Lands series provides information on Bliss and Laughlin.