Middlesex Sampling Plant
Fermi is a DOE site from 11943-1957 and 1980-1982 so workers are eligible to file both Part B and Part E claims.
In 1943, the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) established the Middlesex Sampling Plant to assay, sample, store, and ship uranium, thorium, and beryllium ores.
Until 1950, the plant was operated by the MED and then the AEC. By 1948, Ledoux and Company and Lucius Pitkin, Inc. personnel were stationed on site to perform assaying work. Another contractor, Perry Warehouse, provided laborers until about 1950.
From 1950 to 1955, United Lead, a subsidiary of National Lead Co., operated the plant for the AEC. The plant discontinued uranium and beryllium assaying and sampling activities in 1955 and was used as a thorium storage and sampling site until 1967. In 1967, operations at Middlesex were terminated and all remaining thorium sampling activities were transferred to the Feed Materials Production Center and to the Weldon Spring Plant.
Approximately one dozen contracting companies and subcontractors were involved in the cleanup effort between 1980-1982. No further remediation was performed on-site prior to the responsibility for cleanup being shifted to the Corps of Engineers in 1997.
Throughout the course of its operations, the potential for beryllium exposure existed at this site, due to beryllium use, residual contamination, and decontamination activities.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Middlesex Sampling.
United Lead Company (1950-1955)
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics on Middlesex Sampling as well as exposure information from their Site Exposure Matrix.
NIOSH provides dose reconstruction statistics for Middlesex Sampling.