Maywood Chemical Works
Maywood is an AWE site from 1947-March 1, 2011 so workers are eligible to file Part B claims.
From 1916 to 1959, Maywood Chemical Works extracted radioactive thorium and rare earth elements from monazite sands for use in commercial products. From 1947 to 1950 the AEC purchased thorium compounds from the Maywood Chemical Company.
Although this site was designated as part of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) in 1983, no work was ever performed under this program prior to its transfer to the Army Corp.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE Legacy Management has a webpage for Maywood.
NIOSH provides dose reconstruction statistics for Maywood.