Weldon Spring Plant
Weldon Spring is a DOE facility from 1955-1966 and October 1, 1985-2002 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
In 1955, the U.S. Department of the Army (Army) transferred 217 acres of what had been the Weldon Springs Ordnance Works to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) for construction of a uranium feed materials plant. The AEC constructed the Weldon Spring Uranium Feed Materials Plant at this location and contracted with the Mallinckrodt Chemical Company to operate the plant starting in June 1957. The plant was used for uranium refining activities in support of the national defense program. The AEC closed the plant in December 1966 after deciding it was obsolete.
After closing the plant, the AEC transferred the plant and the land back to the Army on December 31, 1967. On October 1, 1985, custody of the chemical plant was retransferred from the Army back to the DOE, which was given responsibility for remediation of the plant.
The surface decontamination of the plant was completed in October 2002..
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics on the Weldon Spring Plant as well as exposure information from their Site Exposure Matrix on Weldon Spring.
NIOSH lists statistics for Weldon Spring dose reconstructions.