Weldon Spring Raffinate Pits
Weldon Spring Raffinate Pits is a DOE facility from 1955-2002 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
In 1955 the U.S. Department of the Army (Army) transferred 217 acres of what had been the Weldon Springs Ordnance Works to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) to construct a uranium feed materials plant. In addition to the plant, the AEC also constructed four raffinate pits adjacent to the plant between 1958 and 1964. The pits were used as collection points and settling basins for chemical and radioactive waste streams coming from the plant.
After closing the plant (including the associated raffinate pits) in December 1966, the AEC transferred the land back to the Army, but retained ownership and control of the wastes in the raffinate pits. On October 1, 1985, the land was retransferred from the Army back to the DOE, which was given responsibility for remediation of the pits.
Surface decontamination of the pits was completed in October 2002.
DOE lists Weldon Spring Raffinate Pits as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics on the Weldon Spring Raffinate Pits but no Site Exposure Matrix for Weldon Spring.
NIOSH lists statistics for Weldon Spring Raffinate Pits dose reconstructions.