St. Louis Airport Storage Site
SLAPS is a DOE facility for 1947-1973 and 1984-1998 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
SLAPS has a Special Exposure Cohort which covers all workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days of employment for January 3, 1947-November 2, 1971.
The Manhattan Engineer District (MED) began utilizing the St. Louis Airport Storage Site (SLAPS) in 1946 as a place to store residues from the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works. The MED acquired title to the property on January 3, 1947. In 1973 the property was transferred back to the city of St. Louis. Then in 1984, through the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act (Public Law 98-3060) the property was returned to the Department of Energy until 1997 when Congress transferred it to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Although the SLAPS site was designated as part of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP) in 1984, no work under this program was performed prior to its transfer to the Army Corps of Engineers.
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE's Legacy Management has a SLAPS webpage as it was considered for FUSRAP.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics on SLAPS. DOL does not have a site exposure matrix for SLAPS.
The Wall Street Journal Waste Lands series provides information on SLAPS.