Brush Beryllium Company
Brush Beryllium in Detroit is an AWE and beryllium vendor site from 1942-1950s so workers are eligible to file for Part B claims.
The Brush Beryllium Company in Detroit, MI, was one of several companies that rolled or extruded uranium rods for Hanford reactor fuel in the late 1940s and early 1950s. In 1950, Hanford began making rolled uranium rods onsite, but the Atomic Energy Commission shifted the rolling work to the Fernald, OH, Feed Materials Production Center and its supporting contractors in 1952. A number of private companies, including Brush Beryllium Company, contracted with Fernald to provide Hanford with these rolled rods.
Due to Brush Wellman’s status as a statutory beryllium vendor, all employees of Brush Wellman in the U. S., regardless of location, are covered for the entire period for which Brush Wellman and its predecessors supplied beryllium to the U. S. Department of Energy or its predecessor agencies. That period is defined as August 13, 1943 and continuing.
Additionally, on March 8, 2011 the corporate name of Brush Wellman, Inc. changed to Materion Brush, Inc.
DOE lists Brush Beryllium in Detroit as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B statistics on the Brush Beryllium.
NIOSH lists statistics for Detroit's Brush Beryllium dose reconstructions.