Winchester Engineering & Analytical Center
Winchester is a DOE facility from 1952-1961 so workers are eligible to file for both Part B and Part E claims.
Winchester has a Special Exposure Cohort which covers all workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days of employment for January 1, 1952-December 31, 1961.
The Winchester Engineering and Analytical Center, built in 1952 under sponsorship of the AEC, was used to continue development of methods for extraction of uranium and thorium form ore and to prepare metal grade uranium tetrafluoride. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) began the work in 1946 at Cambridge, MA and continued the work after it was transferred later that year to Watertown Arsenal, Watertown, MA. American Cyanamid Company succeeded MIT in operating the project at Watertown Arsenal from 1951 until October 1952, when it was transferred to the Winchester Facility. In 1954, National Lead Company, Inc. took over operations under AEC contract AT(49-6)-924. Beginning in 1959, facility use shifted to laboratory testing of environmental analysis methods pertaining to uranium waste. In 1961, the work was discontinued, and the facility was transferred to the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) for use as a low-level environmental radiation surveillance laboratory and for analysis of radiopharmaceuticals. The facility is now run by the Food and Drug Administration.
DOE Legacy Management has a Winchester webpage because it was considered for FUSRAP.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics on Winchester but no Site Exposure Matrix.
NIOSH lists statistics for Winchester dose reconstructions.