Chapman Valve is an AWE facilty for 1948-1994 and a DOE facility for 1995 so workers are eligible to file Part B claims during the AWE years and both Part B and Part E claims for the DOE year.
Chapman Valve supplied valves to the MED and the AEC. In 1948, Chapman Valve machined uranium rods into slugs for the Brookhaven National Laboratory. Uranium slugs were used as reactor fuel. Chapman may also have conducted rolling operations on uranium metal in 1949. During the 1948 and 1949 time period, the Chapman Valve building located on Dean Street in Indian Orchard was part of the Chapman facility and not a distinct and separate location. Bechtel National, Inc., with Interstate Nuclear Services and Thermo Nutech as subcontractors, performed remediation in 1995 as part of the Formerly Utilized Site Remediation Action Program (FUSRAP)
During the period of residual contamination, as designated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and as noted in the dates above, employees of subsequent owners and operators of this facility are also covered under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.
DOE lists Chapman Valve as a covered EEOICPA facility.
NIOSH lists statistics for Chapman Valve dose reconstructions.