Ames Lab is classified as a DOE site from 1942 to the present site so workers are eligible for Part B and Part E compensation.
Ames has four Special Exposure Cohorts. The first covers workers who worked at least 250 days in Chemistry Annex 1, Chemistry Annex 2, Chemistry Building, Research Building, or Metallurgical Building from January 1, 1942-December 31, 1954
The second covers sheet metal workers, physical plant maintenance, associated support staff and supervisory staff in Wilhelm Hall who worked at least 250 days between January 1, 1955 to December 31, 1970.
The third covers all employees who worked at least 250 days from January 1, 1955-December 31, 1960.
The fourth covers all works who worked at least 250 days between August 13, 1942-December 31, 1970.
The Department of Energy's (DOE) Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant opened in 1952 to enrich uranium for nuclear weapons. During the plant's Cold War history, more than one million tons of uranium was processed.
Construction of the Paducah plant began in 1951 in response to the increased demand for enriched uranium for nuclear weapons production. Initial operations began in 1952 and full operation commenced in 1955. In addition to producing enriched uranium for weapons, the plant also supplied enriched uranium for the Navy and commercial fuel. The Paducah Plant also acted as the uranium hexafluoride feed point for all gaseous diffusion plants until 1964. Throughout the course of its operations, the potential for beryllium exposure existed at this site.
From 1951- July 28, 1998 all 3,556 acres were exclusively controlled by the Government and considered the DOE facility.
Ames Laboratory is located on the Iowa State University Campus in Ames, Iowa. During the Manhattan Project, researchers at Iowa State perfected a magnesium reduction process, producing pure uranium metal that quickly became the industry standard. Iowa State was one of the first organizations to supply metallic uranium used as fuel for the first self-sustaining chain reaction at the University of Chicago.
In 1947, the AEC formally established the Ames Laboratory and directed it to focus on materials research. Over the years the laboratory broadened its mission to include fundamental research in the physical, chemical, mathematical, engineering, and environmental sciences as well.
Throughout the course of its operations, the potential for beryllium exposure existed at this site, due to beryllium use, residual contamination, and decontamination activities.
Alternative NameIowa State University Ames Laboratory
Iowa State University (1942-present)