Metallurgical Lab is a beryllium vendor site from 1942-1946, an AWE facility from 1942-1981 and 2000, and a DOE site from 1982-1984 and 1987 so workers are eligible to file Part B claims for the beryllium vendor and AWE years and both Part B and Part E claims for the DOE years.
The Met Lab has a Special Exposure Cohort for all workers with specific cancers and at least 250 days employment between August 13, 1942-June 30, 1946.
The University of Chicago's Metallurgical Laboratory (Met Lab) was involved in early uranium metallurgical work as part of the Manhattan Project. The first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction was achieved at the university in a "pile" called the Chicago Pile 1, built by Enrico Fermi and his Met Lab colleagues. The Met Lab is the direct predecessor of Argonne National Laboratory into which all Met Lab functions were transferred in 1946.
Beryllium use at the Metallurgical Laboratory is linked with experimental studies in determining whether to use graphite, heavy water or beryllium as a pile moderator. Graphite was the ultimate choice for Fermi's pile.
In 1982-1984 and 1987 environmental remediation was conducted in Eckhart Hall, Jones Laboratory and Ryeson Hall. Only environmental remediation work performed under contract to the DOE performed in these buildings as DOE facility employment during the time period.
DOE lists the Met Lab as a covered EEOICPA facility.
University of Chicago (1942-1946)
NIOSH provides dose reconstruction statistics for Met Lab.