National Bureau of Standards
National Bureau of Standards was an AWE covered facility for 1943-1945 and a DOE facility for 1959 but has been deleted from EEOICPA coverage.
The National Bureau of Standards contributed to weapons research and development from the early 1940s until 1952. They participated in experiments related to developing the purification process of uranium oxide. From the early 1920s until 1952, the NBS had a radioactivity laboratory used for measuring radium samples for medical purposes.
The National Bureau of Standards also provided oversight for uranium metal production. During World War II, considerable emphasis was placed upon uranium metal production. Researchers at Iowa State soon perfected a magnesium reduction process, which quickly became the standard. The National Bureau of Standards in Washington, DC, among other laboratories, provided quality control of the production of uranium metal using the magnesium process. Records also indicate that the NBS worked with thorium.
DOE lists National Bureau of Standards as a deleted EEOCPA facility.