Green Sludge Plant
Green Sludge plant is a DOE site for 1943-1945 so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
The Manhattan Engineer District (MED) obtained uranium from residues left over from the production of vanadium. The resulting product made at these plants was called "green sludge." It was further processed at Grand Junction. Two plants in Uravan, Colorado, provided the MED with uranium extracted from green sludge. The green sludge plant in Uravan owned by Union Carbide and operated by its subsidiary, the U.S. Vanadium Company, is not covered under EEOICPA. This listing applies only to the MED-owned plant, which was located on the north side of the San Miguel River. The U.S. Vanadium Company operated the MED-owned plant under a fixed fee contract during World War II. The plant was shut down in 1945.
DOE lists the Green Sludge Plant as a covered EEOICPA facility.
NIOSH does not currently have any technical basis documents for the Green Sludge Plant. NIOSH reports on the number of dose reconstructions done at Green Sludge Plant.