Grand Junction is a DOE facility for August 1943 to the present so workers are eligible to file for Part B and Part E claims.
Grand Junction has two Special Exposure Cohorts for all workers with specific cancers and with at least 350 days employment between March 23, 1943-December 31, 1985.
The Manhattan Engineer District (MED) constructed a uranium refinery (mill) to produce uranium concentrate from “green sludge here in 1943 which it operated through 1946.” This location also served as the headquarters for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission’s (AEC) uranium-procurement program from 1947 through 1970 and was known as the Grand Junction Office. One of the principal functions of the site was the receipt, sampling, and analysis of uranium and vanadium concentrates from the numerous ore-processing operations in the western United States. In 1951, the AEC constructed a concentrate sampling plant, assay laboratory, and two ore-testing pilot plant mills at this facility. Furthermore, the AEC established a sampling and assaying station for the receipt of uranium ores at Grand Junction. Concentrates produced by mills were delivered in steel drums to Grand Junction, where they were received, weighed, sampled, and assayed as the basis for payment to the mills under the terms of their respective contracts.
On September 30, 2001, the Department of Energy transferred ownership of the Grand Junction property to the Riverview Technology Corporation. The DOE, however, continues to lease portions of the site and provides some on-going remediation services as well as Long-Term Surveillance and Maintenance at the site..
DOL reports claims statistics for Grand Junction on their website but has no SEM.
Grand Junction Videos
James Phillip Moore, 2013