De Soto Avenue Facility
De Soto Avenue is a DOE site from 1959-1995 and 1998 so workers are eligible to file both Part B and Part E claims.
De Sota has a Special Exposure Cohort for all workers who had specific cancers and were employed at least 250 days from January 1, 1059-December 31, 1964.
In 1959, the Atomics International Division of North American Aviation moved to its new facility on De Soto Avenue. AEC/DOE work conducted at this location included engineering design, construction, and nuclear fuel fabrication. The facility also had a radiochemistry laboratory and a gamma irradiation facility. The fuel fabrication facility was used to produce a variety of different fuel elements for test reactors. AEC-sponsored work involving the manufacture of beryllium-containing parts also took place at this site. Fuel fabrication was terminated in 1984, however small scale laboratory research work on gamma irradiation and analysis of radioactive samples continued until 1995. A DOE-owned mass spectrometer at this location was removed from the premises and sent to the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in 1995.
Remedial activities occurred at various times in the 1980's followed by license termination by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. In 1998, decontamination and decommissioning of the mass spectrometer laboratory, funded by the DOE was performed by The Boeing Company. In 1998, decontamination and decommissioning of the state-licensed gamma irradiation facility was performed by The Boeing Company.
DOE lists De Sota Avenue Facility as a covered EEOICPA facility.
DOL provides Part B and Part E statistics on the De Soto Avenue Facility as well as exposure information from their Site Exposure Matrix.